F-1 (Student Visa)

The F-1 visa allows foreign nationals to pursue a full course of academic study at a school approved by the Attorney General for foreign students. However, it is not necessary to have an F-1 visa to attend school. Spouses and dependents of E visas, L visas, H-1B visas, and J visas may also attend school on a full or part-time basis.  To qualify for the F-1 visa, a prospective student must:


  • Enroll in an academic program at a school approved by the Attorney General;
  • Enroll for a full course of study and not part-time study;
  • Establish proficiency in English or be enrolled in an English language course;
  • Establish that they have sufficient funds to support themselves; and
  • Show maintenance of ties to their home country and that they intend to leave the U.S. upon completing their studies.


To obtain an F-1 visa, a prospective student first must apply to a school and be admitted. The admitting school will provide an I-20 form for the student to present at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. If determined to be eligible for the F-1 visa, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will issue an F-1 visa. Upon entry to the U.S., the F-1 student should be admitted for the duration of their studies (D/S on the I-94 card).

A prospective student who enters on a visitor's visa to look at schools will not be allowed to change their status to F-1 status in the U.S. and begin school, unless they explained this upon entering the U.S. and a notation was made on the prospective student's I-94 card.

F-1 students can work in an on-campus job up to 20 hours a week during the school year. Students can also undertake  optional practical training (OPT) either during studies, or upon graduation, for a total of 12 months.  Students who graduate from a course of study in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) may apply for a 17-month extension of their OPT, for a total of 29 months in OPT.  The employer of the OPT employee must be registered with E-Verify in order for the employee to qualify for the extension.   This OPT extension for STEM students is useful in years when the H-1B cap is reached early, before an employer is able to submit an H-1B petition for the STEM student, or when the USCIS must conduct a lottery for H-1B's.  

Spouses or parents of F-1 students are not authorized to work.

Full-time or part-time students who reside in either Canada or Mexico and commute to the U.S. to attend school are eligible for a specific border commuter non-immigrant classification.