TN Status (for NAFTA Professionals)

A TN visa provides admission into the U.S. for Mexican and Canadian citizens who engage in activities at a professional level through the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).  This category is similar to the H-1B visa except a TN visa can be renewed indefinitely in increments of 3 years.  To be eligible for a TN visa, Mexican and Canadian citizens must have "at least a baccalaureate degree or appropriate credentials demonstrating status as a professional."  The following professions are eligible for a TN visa: 

  • Accountants
  • Actuaries
  • Architects
  • Computer Systems Analysts
  • Disaster Relief Claims Adjusters
  • Economists
  • Engineers
  • Foresters
  • Graphic Designers
  • Hotel Managers
  • Industrial Designers
  • Interior Designers
  • Land Surveyors
  • Landscape Architects
  • Lawyers
  • Librarians
  • Management Consultants
  • Mathematicians
  • Medical Professionals (including dentists, nutritionists, therapists, RNs, etc.)
  • Research Assistants
  • Scientific Technicians/Technologists
  • Scientists
  • Social Workers
  • Sylviculturists
  • Teachers
  • Technical Publications Writers
  • Urban Planners
  • Veterinarians
  • Vocational Counselors

TN visa applicants may work in the U.S. under the following conditions:

  • Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
  • Profession is on the NAFTA list;
  • Position in the U.S. requires a NAFTA professional;
  • Mexican or Canadian applicant is to work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job, for a U.S. employer;
  • Self-employment is not permitted;
  • Professional Canadian or Mexican citizen has the qualifications of the profession.

Spouses and children accompanying a TN can be admitted in TD status.